Saturday 23 October 2010

Week 3 - Engage Brain

Week ending 15th October 2010

Tuesday
Contextual Studies with Mike De Vere

The week again started with Mike's class and this week we discussed modern design. Mike is doing a few more lectures on this subject as we didn't cover it in the first year. I've always enjoyed Mike's lectures and find them to be a valuable insight into modern art. Again, we discussed post-modernism and my grasp of this subject is becoming more clear. Postmodernism is something I will need to touch on for my upcoming assignment so it's always good to have a refresher.

I have not yet decided which photographer I will focus on for my presentation in a few weeks time. All I know is they have to be alive and practicing within my chosen field. I will have to do some research to narrow down my choice.

Also, I gained a little more clarity on what I need to research and write about for my 750 essay... which is relief!

Wednesday
Photographic Theory with Sian Gouldstone

Lee was unable to attend class this week due to other commitments so we had a full day with Sian.

In this week's session the class analysed images of particular photographers, including Jeff Wall, Sarah Pickering, Tom Hunter, Hiroshi Sugimoto, Ann Hardy and Richard Kalver. Many of these photographers use constructed or staged imagery and we discussed ways of understanding their work. These included,

- playing a role on a real stage
- intentionally questioning fact and fiction
- cultural analysis
- use our imaginary power to complete the story
- post-modernist reaction

I found Sarah Pickering's work quite intriguing. Some of my favourite images are below,





All these images were taken at a police training centre. There is something very familiar with about each image but the scene is not real, it is a constructed reality. Our cultural understanding help us to complete the picture. These images question our association with the familiar.

We also looked at John Szarkowski - The Photographer's Eye. He says there are 5 parts of why photographs looked the way they do

- the thing itself
- the detail
- the frame
- time
- vantage point

REPRESENTATION OF THE WORLD = UNDERSTANDING OF THE WORLD.

Sian gave each of us who bothered to stay behind for the afternoon session a photographer to research and do a 5 minute presentation on. My photographer was Sarah Jones.

I found this exercise quite beneficial and I was surprised how much information you can discover when you really concentrate on one subject. Reading has always been a bit of a sore point for me since I was young but this is something I will have to get to grips with and do more of.

I decided to do my presentation on Sarah Jones's 'Dining Room' series which sees 3 teenage girls photographed in their home environment. The 3 girls are known to Sarah Jones and she photographs them in several parts of the house and garden.







Each image is carefully staged, furniture has been rearranged and the girls directed to pose in a certain way. Studio lighting has also been used to enhance the staged atmosphere. Each image is constructed and artificial
but at the same time, the 3 girls are known to Sarah Jones and each other. These relationships must affect the nature of the photograph. Jones explore the relationships between a staged pose or gesture, a gaze or an individuals character.

The girls are from affluent backgrounds with the dining room displaying wealth and status but the girls do not appear comfortable in their own environment. They appear bored, mentally absent and awkward. The images appear honest and open but something seems to be out of place.


Thursday
P&DI with Max Bamber and Dan Morgan

In Max's session this week we discussed to progress of our Unit 10 projects.

I have decided to focus on the 'Lost Generation'. This subject matter was initially suggested by Alex a few weeks earlier and it is a subject I am drawn to more than any other I have looked at. I think this is because it is an issue that will affect me and is affecting many of the people who I know who have degrees.

My idea is to explore the how people with such talent, intelligence and ambition have had their lives suddenly grind to a holt after university because they are unable to fulfil their dreams. The idea of being at a standstill, frozen and unable to move forward with life has cripple a whole generation of young people. My initial idea is to take portraits of these individuals but in what context I am unclear at the moment. Max suggested that I look at the work of Brian Griffin and his recent project for the Olympic Games 2012.





No comments:

Post a Comment